Monday 2 May 2011

Learning from each other

Ok, at last I have decided to start posting some of my thoughts to as large or small an audience as stumbles across this blog.

Passion for truth describes my longing to know the nature of reality as well as I can. I believe that this is found most beautifully in the person of Jesus Christ. However as limited humans our grasp of that truth is always limited, provisional and open to revision. There is always so much more to learn; I can learn from you , and perhaps you can learn a little from me.

3 comments:

JT said...

Ray
there are plenty of examples of individuals being 'exorcised' as you put it in the Nt, 9 in the ministry of jesus and a few in Acts.

Ray said...

Hi JT,

You confused me by not posting this in response to my blogpost on the subject of demons.

Yes, of course, the NT details probably 6 separate examples of exorcism by Jesus. But what was happening here? We find no accounts of people being healed of mental illness in the gospels; however a number of commentators note that in first century Palestine the mentally ill were seen as being demonised - healing them would be seen as expelling a demon. Making this equivalent is a useful example of handling scripture aright by what has been called cultural transposition. Claiming to identify and expel demons today is sadly mistaken and can cause damage. I hope this helps your reflection on this topic.

Ray said...

But JT,

Perhaps you misread my question; I asked Why are there no examples of individuals being exorcised in the OT?  You have not given a response to this question yet!